11 October 2009

Being in the Himalayas.....being with God



I remember the time when I first became aware of the existence of the beauty of the Himalayas in the Uttaranchal state of India. It was through photographs which were a glimpse of the real thing. Since that moment, it had become a dream of mine to visit that part of India at some point in my life. Although, at the time it had seemed almost not possible.

Six years on, the circumstances shaped in a way that the dream came true. Thanks to a documentary on the BBC on River Ganga (mispronounced as Ganges) which acted as a trigger of inspiration for me to pursue my dream. I consider myself as the fortunate one who has witnessed, experienced and absorbed the beauty of the Himalaya mountains. Of course, the Himalayas are vast beyond imagination yet, to experience even a tenth of the ultimate mountains is of great significance in itself.

The scenery of snow covered mountain peaks, in line with luscious landscapes, with the pure white sand at their feet and with sparkling, clear River Ganga flowing down the mountains under the clear blue sky; has fixed in my memories so deeply that I miss them.

During my trip, I visited a place called Gangotri (the origins of River Ganga) where I felt a profound sense of spirituality with River Ganga. I would like to share that here with you.


Ganga Maeeya (i.e. Mother), I offer my deepest respects to you and I bow to you.
You are so beautiful that words cannot describe.
So white as snow, so pure, so clear.
When the golden rays of the Sun greet you, you shine so bright that a diamond would shy away from you.
You adorn Mother Earth as a delicate garment, enhancing her beauty of simplicity and purity.
I admire your strength, your independence, your generosity and your purity.
You are so forgiving.
As you flow down the Himalayas, even the rocks do not dare to stand in your way. Your simplicity and your character have taught them to bow down to you.

Since eternity, you continue to wash the sins of the millions of beings who come to take a dip in your holy waters. Yet, nothing ever has and ever will tarnish your purity.


Mother, as I stand before you, I seek your permission before I step in your holy waters. I hope that you find me worthy of dipping in your virtuous waters.
As I drench my soul with your water, I pray that I become like you, as strong as you, as forgiving as you and as generous as you.
I pray that I learn from you that the purity of a soul is never tainted by others. In fact, whoever comes in contact with you is set free. Teach me to never doubt myself.

I hope that I will be blessed with the opportunity to come and see you again in the near future.